It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:26 pm

CSS/CS:GO Server discusson / Information

profanity filter policy

Discuss our CSS/CS:GO servers here and find out the info about them

Moderators: |INC| Clan Leaders (MIR), |INC| CSS Server Reps (SR), |INC| Tech Team (TT)

profanity filter policy

Unread postby potato » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi, i'm a noob. I was just wondering how the word 'pakistani' made it into the profanity filter?

I was told by some old guy on italy that 'they dont like to be called that', but to me that sounds like over-compensation for something (which wouldn't be that shocking since the server is overwhelmingly white and suburban). Perhaps there was an event in the past with the word, but I don't think so, otherwise he'd have said that.

I know you're probably thinking this is petty, but really it isn't. I grew up in a predominantly muslim school, in a predominantly muslim area, with, you guessed it, predominantly muslim friends. I'd say that at least 75% percent of them were 2nd gen pakistani. another maybe 10% were pakistani themselves. They still refer to themselves as pakistani, and I still do, too.

Just wondering. I Dread to think what other presumptuous and possibly patronising words made it into the filter. I know if my mates were to play here, a good quarter of their chat would be filtered just because of where they're from. Slight backfire?

:-| :roll: :-| :roll:
potato
Stranger
Stranger

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:00000000

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Re: profanity filter policy

Unread postby Giggity » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm

I see where you're coming from. And I would also like to thank you that you've come on here maturely and acted reasonably and it doesn't matter however "petty" it may sound, we like to hear people's opinions on matter concerning themselves.

What I will say on this matter is that although I get where you're coming from, as a community, in the past we've had dealings with players for racist behaviour. There are some obvious words that always come out when slandering someone in a racist manner and these obvious words (which I don't believe need repeating) will then be put down on the filter to prevent such episodes happening again.

Like what you've said, the word Pakistani simply means "a person who originates from Pakistan". The problem lies with the word having two different conceptual meanings. The word "Pakistani" isn't on the filter because we don't like the word and we shouldn't allow people to use that word when describing themselves, it's purely on the filter because of the tone/manner it tends to be used in. In an ideal world where no one online is racist, that word wouldn't be put on the filter list.

Hopefully this helps you out.
Giggity
|INC| CSS Server Rep
|INC| CSS Server Rep

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:40266485
InGame CSS Name: Giggityyy or Chet Faker

Unread postby Grandma » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:34 pm

potato wrote:I know you're probably thinking this is petty, but really it isn't. I grew up in a predominantly muslim school, in a predominantly muslim area, with, you guessed it, predominantly muslim friends. I'd say that at least 75% percent of them were 2nd gen pakistani. another maybe 10% were pakistani themselves. They still refer to themselves as pakistani, and I still do, too.
:-| :roll: :-| :roll:

So did I and the area was similar. However, in my case it was taken as grossly offensive to most. We took a common word list and added some of our own in as well.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

Unread postby potato » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:18 am

I see where you're coming from, and thanks for your responses. I can easily see how an abbreviation of the word is well known as offensive, just not the word itself in its entirety.

I'd just like to suggest that perhaps the filter be used less presumptuously, for fear of alienating people you're trying to protect.

cheers, and stop cheating giggity
potato
Stranger
Stranger

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:00000000

Unread postby Grandma » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:37 am

There's a lot less on the filter than you'd expect and we have posted it up in full somewhere here on the forum for people to see previously.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

Unread postby lexadair » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am

I'm sure INC would rather be slightly too cautious and know that with that there'll be a lot less chance of offence or even racism caused, than be a little too lenient, knowing that it's up to personal ideologies about certain words, that could potentially be seen in a grey area. It's there to see that everyone's happy at the end of the day, call me any name under the sun and there's a good chance I won't be offended, but even so I undserstand why users aren't goven the privilege of doing so within the INC servers.
lexadair
|INC| Events Team
|INC| Events Team

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:54582365
InGame CSS Name: lexadair
Playstation Network Username: lexadair
XBOX Live Gamertag: lexadair
Twitter: @baldy_heed
iMessage_id: adair.92@Gmail.com

Unread postby potato » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:00 pm

:mrgreen: :-D :mrgreen: :-D